How solar Generated Electricity Works
workflow optimization made easy
On-grid system means connecting your solar system to your local power system and doesn’t require a backup battery, while off-grid system means not connecting your solar system to your local power system and requires a backup battery.
Photovoltaic system (Solar Power system)
A photovoltaic system also known as solar power system is a power system designed to supply usable power by means of photo -voltaic. PV systems convert light directly into electricity. It consists of an arrangement of several components, including solar panels to absorb and convert sunlight into electricity, a solar inverter to change the electric current from DC to AC, as well as mounting, cabling, and other electrical accessories to set up a working system.
PV systems range from small, rooftop-mounted or building-integrated systems with capacities from a few to several tens of kilowatts, to large utility-scale power stations of hundreds of megawatts. PV systems are either grid-connected or off-grid (stand-alone systems).
Types of solar panels
- Monocrystalline solar panels – have solar cells
made from single crystal of silicon. Monocrystalline have high energy
efficiency compared to polycrystalline.
- Polycrystalline solar panels- have solar cells
made of many silicon fragments melted together.
- Thin-film:Also called (Amorphous silicon solar
panels). These are solar panels made up of multiple thin light absorbing layers
of photovoltaic materials that a laid to a substrate.
Advantages of solar pv
- Solar PV is a renewable energy source- solar panels rely on sunlight which is available almost daily in a year.
- Solar PV reduces electricity bills- solar light being a free energy reduces the amount of money paid for electricity bills.
- Diverse application-solar PV can be used for multiple purposes.
- Low maintenance cost-solar PV only need to be cleaned on the outside to get rid of stains and dust.
- Solar PV reduces usage of fossil fuels
- Solar PV operate silently
- Solar PV are environmentally friendly and does not emit dangerous gases
Applications of solar pv
- Solar pv can be used to generate heat and make hot water
- Solar pv can be used to generate electricity
- Solar cloth dryer use sun rays for drying clothes
- Solar cookers use solar pv for cooking
- Solar Water pumps use solar pv to pump water for farmers
- Solar lights use solar panels to provide street lighting
- Charging vehicle batteries
- Solar powered fridges
- Solar can also be applied in such as solar flashlights, solar fans, solar tablets, solar calculators, solar radios, solar watches etc.